Wedding Dresses Edinburgh
Finding your wedding dress is something that should be high up on your wedding to do list! You will find
that many wedding dresses take around 6 months or so to be made, so it is advisable to start looking for
your dress as soon as possible. Luckily, in Edinburgh you are spoilt for choice for wedding dresses.
There are at least 12 different shops in Edinburgh selling wedding gowns. If you tire of looking in the
wedding dress shops in Edinburgh, you also have the option of going through to Glasgow or Fife.
Many brides want to lose weight for their wedding, but don't let this stop you from beginning your
search for dresses. Most of the dresses are beautifully made and you will find a gown to flatter you
regardless of your size. You can also have your dress taken in once it arrives, usually around 6 weeks
or so before the wedding day. Normally dresses can be taken in around a size and a half or so, depending
on the style, but in general, dresses cannot be taken out, so getting bigger after you have ordered your
wedding dress is not an option!
It is a good idea to spread your search for wedding dresses over a few weeks. You will need to phone up
the wedding dress shops and make appointments in advance, expecially if you want to try dresses on on a
Saturday. I visited a total of 6 dress shops over a period of three weeks and I don't recommend visiting
more than 2 wedding dress shops in one day, as trying on all of these white dresses in a short space
of time can be very confusing! You will normally try on at least five or six wedding gowns per shop so it is
good if you can narrow it down to a favourite of one or two dress, then after you have visited a few
different shops go back and try on your favourites again.
Here are a few tips to make your wedding dress shopping more fruitful:
- Have an idea of what you want - look in bridal magazines beforehand to get ideas of what you like and dislike
- Wear some nice underwear when you go shopping for a dress. You usually have to undress in front of the assistant and the grey baggy knickers and non matching black bra is not a good look!
- Try on different styles. When you go to your first couple of shops it is a good idea to try on a variety of styles. You won't know what suits you until you have tried it on
- Shop for your dress well in advance. As I mentioned earlier you need to be ordering your dress at last 6 months before your wedding.
- Don't despair if you are measured and your dress size is higher than normal. Wedding dress designers tend to have a different sizing chart form the high street. If you are a size 12, don't worry if the dress is ordered in a size 14 or 16!
- Take someone with you when trying on dresses. It is good to have a second and third opinion so take your mum and/or your bridesmaids with you shopping
Wedding dress shops in Edinburgh include Berketex Bride, Butterflies, Bliss Studio, Kudos Couture Bridal, Emma Roy,
Caroline Castigliana, Pronuptia, Kavelle, Pretty Woman, Rachel Scott Bridal Couture, Susan Gregory, Thistledown,
La Novia and Lorraine Weselby. There are also some high street stores that do wedding dresses, so if you are on a budget this may also be an
option for you. BHS stocks wedding dresses, as does Monsoon.
Another option for the budget conscious is to buy your dress online. There are many dressmakers on Ebay
who make wedding dresses. Just register on Ebay and search for "wedding dress" or "wedding gown".
You can read about how I got on with trying on wedding dresses in my Wedding Diary:
Good luck with finding your dream dress!